For UK users: Will gnucash get ready for Making Tax Digital ?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Jul 25 12:43:29 EDT 2017

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 11:43:02AM +0100, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:

> Even businesses below that threshold, may well chose to register for VAT.
> If a UK company sells a lot of goods outside the European Union, then it
> makes sense, as the business can recover the cost of the VAT on items
> purchased, but does not need to charge VAT on non-EU sales. If one sells
> mainly to individuals in the EU, it would probably not make sense to
> register for VAT unless one has to.

I am registered for VAT, my turnover is usually less than £85k.

I talked about this briefly on this list a few months ago, but there was little reply.

I would be interested in doing a bit to help with MTD, but I know little about
GNU cash -- I want a way of keeping government off my back as easily as possible.
I do not want to use one of the 'cloud solutions', partly because I don't trust
them and they also sound like too much effort.

In spite of what HMRC say MTD is probably going to involve me in a lot more work
for zero benefit to me.

The last time that I looked it was not clear how much information MTD needed -
eg every line on an expense form or just a summary, would the need a scanned
copy of all receipts or what ... ?

It also appears that MTD is not really interested in the exact numbers that are
submitted every quarter - the annual summary is what they want. The quarterly
submissions are about them ensuring that we are all running our accounts
electronically -- damned control freaks!

I know several other small Linux/... consultants like myself who would want a
FLOSS solution for doing MTD and would help to get something done.

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/