Properly recording mixed/variable Invoice payment

Jason Cooper gnucash at lakedaemon.net
Sat Jul 29 20:51:13 EDT 2017

All,

my current wip solution:

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 10:24:12PM +0000, Jason Cooper wrote:
> I've been using GnuCash to manage my company's books for almost a year
> now.  Recently, my primary customer (whom I have little control over)
> started mixing several reimbursements into one check.  So the history of
> events goes like this:
>
> 15th: Send Invoice for services rendered this month
> 25th: Receive check for Invoice amount *plus*:
> 	- Any reimbursable expenses approved before the 9th
> 	- Any per-diem accrued to date
>
> The kicker is that I have no idea which expenses are going to be
> reimbursed this pay period, nor do I know how much per-diem they
> calculated I should get (based on travel requests).  So I can't reflect
> any of that when I cut the Invoice.
>
> How on Earth do I track this correctly given the lack of information at
> Invoice time?

I basically have 3 A/R buckets,

  a) Invoices
  b) Reimbursed Expenses
  c) Per-Diem Reimbursement

(a) is fine and goes according to the textbook.
(b) I guess is ok because I can generate an Invoice I never send (the
customer wants an excel spreadsheet w/ receipts).  Then process payment
when I receive the check.
(c) is still tricky.  I *think* I can just generate a back-dated invoice
(that I also never send) that then gets paid.

Questions:  Is is possible to Process Payment for multiple invoices at
once?  Since that's what would be occurring, that'd be perfect.  Also,
Is it acceptable to have multiple buckets under A/R?  Last, is there a
way for me to be able to tell in a single account wether my travel
expenses are ahead of or behind my Per Diem reimbursements?

thx,

Jason.