Reconciling an account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 00:17:56 EDT 2017

John,
That sounds way more complicated than using the reconcile feature in Gnucash and following the guidance in the concept guide at chapter 4.4 & 5.4.
When I reconcile using this method, I click reconcile, I select the correct ending date, adjust the closing balance to match the statement. Then, I check off the debits and credits that match. Usually, when I have checked off what is in the statement, everything matches, and I am done. That is very straightforward.
China, if you have done all this and things don't match, I would double check that there aren't errors in your transactions.
David

  On Sun, Jun 4, 2017 at 8:07, John Walker<gonewest at westnet.com.au> wrote:   Hi China Blue

This particular issue baffled me for some time until I came up with a
process that tells me what to expect.  My GnuAccount opening balance
hardly ever is the starting balance in the relevant statement because
inputs and outputs from previous statements as well as the current
statement are not always fully accounted for (pardon the pun).

Here is the process:

*To reconcile Credit Card, GnuCash vs Bank:*

1.Copy LAST entry in Gnucash before entries that are being reconciled
i.e. last reconciled entry

2.ADD New Transactions and Charges (not closing balance) from current
bank statement

3.SUBTRACT payments/Refunds from bank statement

4.Result should be the same as LAST entry being currently reconciled in
GnuCash

5.If there is a difference, subtract actual entry in GnuCash from
calculated entry

6.This is the value that needs to be found – it should either be an
incorrectly made entry or a missing/extra entry or a combination

7.Easy way to check is to print statement and hand tick on paper

Cheers
Phantom