Reconciling an account

EngineInstitute info at chinablueart.com
Mon Jun 5 13:10:30 EDT 2017

John,

What baffles me is that I am balancing a credit card statement with little
activity. It was reconciled correctly the prior month, so the starting
balance for the following month is correct.

In this case the initial reconcile box reflects a different balance, so I
put in the new balance to reflect the statement. Usually if everything is in
order that number agrees with the statement. In this case it does not (I
thought this strange) so I corrected the number.

I then took the normal steps and checked off the expenses (not many) and
payments as well as the interest against the statement. Yet, there is no
agreement.

I double checked my work against the statement's payment amounts, purchase
amounts and interest charged to make sure that these sums add up to what was
in GnuCash. All agree yet the balance in GnuCash is off by hundreds of
dollars. Since all of the prior months sums are balanced, my data is correct
and there is no outstanding activity that might somehow affect the balance I
cannot figure out what to look for and how to resolve this weird problem.

Note I have been doing bookkeeping for many years so knowing how to
reconcile a statement is not the problem. I am wondering if there is
something that I don't understand with how GnuCash manages the data.

-----
China Blue