Reconciling an account

Liz edodd at billiau.net
Sun Jun 4 04:12:45 EDT 2017

On Sun, 4 Jun 2017 08:28:04 +0100
Colin Law <clanlaw at gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris
> If the reconcile window shows the same starting balance as your
> statement does and you have set the ending balance to that from the
> statement then after you tick off all the transactions from the
> statement then you should end up with a reconcile difference of zero.
> If you don't get zero then probably one of the items you have ticked
> off is not the same as on the balance. Probably the amounts on the
> statement and in the reconcile window differ in one of the digits and
> you have not noticed when you tick them off, this has happened to me a
> number of times, it is easy to tick it off without noticing a minor
> difference.  Double check all the values and you will probably find
> the difference.
>
> Colin

When I get a mistake in a reconciliation I do very small bits of the
statement at a time. You don't have to do a month at once - you can do
any fragment, as long as it starts at the earliest entry on your
statement.
Add in some of the other tips, like printing out the statement and
marking the paper as you go, and you should be able to find where your
records and the bank's differ.

This is the point of reconciliation, to find if you agree, and if not
why not. The error could be either yours or the bank's, so it is worth
finding the source of the problem.

Liz