Schwab Brokerage account/Roth OFX

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 13:22:47 EDT 2017

> On Jun 4, 2017, at 9:00 PM, vipdm <lemma569 at hacari.org> wrote:
>
> Thanks. What do you mean, "CURRENT stock buy/sell & dividend transactions",
> all completed transactions would be in the past? Do you mean since the last
> time you checked? I am mainly looking to pull the current balance. When you
> have a chance, could you post what OFX settings you are using for the
> brokerage?

What do YOU mean by “pull the current balance”? Are you speaking about the SHARE balance, or the pie-in-the-sky* DOLLAR balance? GnuCash tracks primarily the former (using the afore-mentioned transactions), while providing some tools that help with the latter (the Quotes features provided and stored in the priceDB). I suspect you are looking for information regarding the latter. If the shares are correct, then adjusting the daily prices of the held commodities (using the Get Quotes function) should yield a current balance that matches your broker.

I believe that GnuCash doesn’t actually store the balances for any account; it calculates them based on a number of factors (such as the transactions affecting holdings, and the commodity values, if applicable). So pulling a balance into GnuCash wouldn’t make sense.

David

* Note that, until you cash in your holdings, this value doesn’t actually accrue to you, which is why I call it “pie-in-the-sky”. It’s also why in the US they don’t tax you on that increase. It’s only when you sell that the money becomes real.