Reconciling an account

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Mon Jun 5 21:32:40 EDT 2017

I seriously doubt you have found a bug. You probably have a transaction in
GnuCash that does not match the bank's transaction. Digits are transposed,
debits/credits are reversed, a transaction is in the wrong account (so not
in the one you are reconciling) or something like that.

I have had this problem in the past. The best way for me to solve it is to
get away from the computer screen and use paper and pencil to find the
errant transaction(s). In GNUCash, go to Reports (top line menus) and
select Transaction Report. Run a transaction report for the account in
question for the date range in question. Include the option to include the
reconciliation date for each transaction. Print it out. Take a highlighter,
and compare each transaction on the GnuCash report with the bank statement.
Cross out the ones on BOTH sheets of paper that 100% MATCH - be sure the
column for the reconciliation date is blank (or correct for the current
period you are working on) for that transaction, or you have reconciled
that transaction in an earlier reconciliation (an aha - you have found one
error). At the end of this exercise, you should have found the error(s) -
either on the bank or on you. ;) Remember, the $195.14 is the SUM of ALL
the errors in this reconciliation.

Good luck!

Mark