Import Invoice causes error

John A Brown johnbrowngreybeard at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 12:22:25 EDT 2017

Hello,

GnuCash is a very good program and the open source support community is
wonderful!

I am using GnuCash 2.6.5 in Windows 7. The error happens when I click File
-> Import -> Import Bills & Invoices. I choose Invoice000500.csv, invoice,
comma separated. When I get this information entered the Preview window
displays the actual information that is in the file. When I click OK I get
an error telling me "ROW 1 DELETED, CUSTOMER_DOES_NOT_EXIST; id=1234". The
"id=1234" it is referring to is the first field which is listed as id and I
understand this field is invoice number, not customer ID. I experimented a
little and actually put in a valid customer ID in the first field rather
than the invoice number which is supposed to be there. The same error
message shows up saying that the valid customer ID does not exist.

Then GnuCash.exe crashes and I get the error message "gnucash.exe has
stopped working". When I restart gnucash the lock file prevents the data
file from opening and I have to instruct it to "open anyway".

I have utilized Invoice import feature successfully in the past so I have
confidence that the format is correct. I have carefully compared my format
to that described in Help -> GnuCash Tutorial and Concepts Guide ->
Importing Business Data -> Import Bills or Invoices.

BTW I think there might be a confusing language in the Guide about
importing. It mentions "data must be in a fixed field length, comma
separated line format". My opinion is that the format shown is comma
separated. The format is specifically not fixed field length. The guide
also instructs the menu selections to get to this import feature is
Business -> Invoice & Bill Import when the correct menu selections are
 File -> Import -> Import Bills & Invoices.

Kind Regards, John A Brown