Transaction Journal View - blank "Memo" instead of Description

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 18:54:18 EDT 2017

> On Jun 10, 2017, at 4:30 PM, Waitman Gobble <waitman at waitman.net> wrote:
>

> Thanks. It appears top posting is preferred here?
>
> For example, what I see for one invoice in Transaction Journal View.
>
> 19/04/2017   3461      UjENA USA                      3255.24
>             Invoice                       housecln    300.00
>             Invoice                       util        578.00
>             Invoice                       office       50.00
>             Invoice                       office      250.00
>             Invoice                       office     2077.24
>
> I can see the account name, but "Memo" is blank. When I open the invoice I can see the descriptions, but I do not see a "Memo" or "Note" field for each line item. There is a note field for the entire invoice.

Invoices posted using the business features are a bit different than normal transactions entered into a register.

In the above sample, the memo field is between “Invoice” and the account name. You can type something in here if you like.

When viewing the invoice, each line item has a description, this is different from the description of register transactions. (which is filled in with the customer/company name for invoices/bills)

If you uncheck the “Accumulate Splits?” box when posting, you will see those descriptions from the invoice posted as the memo for each split line in the AR/AP register. When "Accumulate Splits?" is checked (the default) this field will be left blank because you’d have multiple descriptions writing over themselves or GC would have to choose which one to use. I suppose it could concatenate them, but it opts instead to leave the field blank.

Unpost the invoice, repost and uncheck the “Accumulate Split?” box and then view the AR/AP register again. You should see your descriptions from the invoice now appear as the memo in the register for each split.

> It would be nice if I could double-click the invoice line and open the invoice, maybe I am missing something?

That would be nice too. I agree. Please file a Request For Enhancement on Bugzilla.

Regards,

Adrien