Reconciling an account

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jun 13 16:42:33 EDT 2017

On Tuesday, 13 June 2017 18:14:39 BST EngineInstitute wrote:
> Maf,
> Yes it is confusing.
> Ok got 2.6.15
> In the accounts tree the credit card account is listed directly under
> Liabilities.
> When looking at the preferences of this account under
> Edit/Preferences/Accounts it is listed under Reverse Balance Accounts as a
> Credit account. This category I understand is a for credit cards (vs Income
> and expense).  Formal label accounting is off. On the accounting page for
> the credit card headers for columns read from left to right beginning with
> Transfer: R, Decrease, Increase, Balance.

Hi,

Right, glad you got 2.6.15 sorted out!

 What is the account type of your credit card?  It sounds from the column
headings that you have it as a liability, not a credit card.  You can check
this from the account tree by right-clicking on the account and choosing Edit
Account from the menu - look to the bottom left corner ish of the dialogue
box.

The reverse balance preference setting is global - it merely makes the sign of
certain accounts (ie credit cards) +ve instead of -ve.  With it set to none,
things you spend on credit card go increasingly negative and payments from the
bank bring it back toward zero.  By setting it to credit there is less of a
mental leap needed when looking at the statement.  However, being set to
credit means we are looking at the same thing!

> When a credit card payment is made from the checking account it is reflected
> as decrease on the bank side (correct) and an increase on the credit card
> side (wrong).

My bank account has the (friendly) column headings Deposit | withdrawal and
the Credit Card is Tot Payment | Tot Charge.

Paying the CCard bill is in the Withdrawal column of my bank and the Tot
Payment column of the CCard account.  (decreasing the balance of both
accounts)

Just a thought, what is the "Account Type" of the Bank Account?

Something somewhere is making your transactions go backwards... and I think it
must be account type being wrong, somewhere.  Did my screengrab make it
through to you yesterday?  Was it of any help at all?

> I hope this clarifies this problem.

Not really!

Maf.