Reconciling an account

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 12:47:04 EDT 2017

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 10:04 AM, EngineInstitute <info at chinablueart.com> wrote:
>
> Adrien:
>
> Look at your bank register. It should be labeled Tot Deposit/Tot Withdraw.
>
> Response:
> Checking account ledger tabs on the right are: Deposit/Withdraw not Tot
> Deposit or Tot Withdraw
> Tabs in the credit card ledger on right are labeled:
> Payment/Charge/Balance without the Tot
> Note: I checked the use formal account labels in the preference box which
> is off for both ledgers.

If you checked the box for “Use Formal Account Labels” then the preference is on and ALL accounts should be Debit/Credit.

If you unchecked the box, then the preference is off and ALL accounts will read according to their type.

As for not seeing the same exact informal labels, not having the ‘Tot’ in front, seems odd, but certainly that doesn’t change the functionality of the column. Try expanding the column by dragging the grid line left or right and see if more of the label is visible. (Usually it only shortens from the right, but your OS might be different - I’m on a Mac, though this should be a GTK thing, so it should work the same cross-platform)

Note, the wording of the label in this case is merely aesthetics. It might have something to do with locale translation. I’m using en-us. If you’re on a different English locale, that might explain the different wording. (it shouldn’t be different, but whoever created the translation file might have typed them differently or the en-us version was edited later to add the ’Tot’ in front, and someone forgot to update the other English files.)

> I am trying to get the tabs to reflect yours so we are talking about the
> same thing. The bank register agrees (except for the Tot) but my credit card
> ledger is not similar.

When I have formal labels off, the credit card type accounts read like yours do save they have ‘Tot’ in front. (that is, Tot Payment/Tot Charge/Balance) However, I quickly switched to formal debit/credit labels when I started using GnuCash for the reasons I stated earlier:

They don’t change with each account.
They are the same for a split no matter which register I’m viewing.
They make sense for each split regardless of which register I’m viewing.

I also set Reversed Balance Accounts to “Credit” so everything with normal balances is a positive number. Also, this means an ‘increase’ in any account is a larger positive number from zero. If anything has a negative balance in red, that’s an easy visual indicator that something is wrong, or that account is in a non-normal balance state. I just find this easier to deal with. To each their own, which is why the setting is there.

Just for info and clarity, with “Use Formal Account Labels” checked, ALL accounts use Tot Debit/Tot Credit labels, in that order.

With that setting off, here are the informal labels used per account type:

Bank = Tot Deposit/Tot Withdrawal
Cash = Tot Receive/Tot Spend
Asset = Tot Increase/Tot Decrease
Credit Card = Tot Payment/Tot Charge
Liability = Tot Decrease/Tot Increase (note, they are the reverse of Asset)
Equity = Tot Decrease/Tot Increase
Income = Tot Charge/Tot Income
Expense = Tot Expense/Tot Rebate
A/Receivable = Tot Invoice/Tot Payment
A/Payable = Tot Payment/Tot Bill (note again, reverse of A/R)
Trading = Tot Decrease/Tot Increase

Stock & Mutual Fund types are a bit different and the labels (and columns available) depend on if the account is for the brokerage or for an individual stock/commodity.

> I have visited  Edit/Preference. The bank ledger
> follows you without the Tot but the cc does not.

EVERYTHING in the ‘Preferences’ window is for the entire application. That setting is not account/register specific. (you can’t turn on formal labels for one account and use informal labels on another) All of those tabs are Application Preferences, not Account Preferences.

The only ‘preferences’ (properties more accurately) which are changeable per account is whatever is shown when you either use the Edit button with an account highlighted, or use the right-click context menu “Edit Account” entry.

> I did changed the credit card account to Account Type to: Credit Card. This
> resolved the posting errors. Thanks for that.

Your welcome.

-Adrien