Notes column in SingleLine display

azalea4va common17 at azalea.name
Sun Jun 18 11:14:18 EDT 2017

I am new to GnuCash.  What was MOST noticable within minutes of my first use
was the glaring inefficient use of screen space.  Perhaps 1/3 of a register
listing is just empty in an overly wide "Description" column.  I personally
prefer to have the Notes field visible in the SingleLine display instead of
having to use a DoubleLine display (halving the number of transactions that
can be listed).  While I would love to see that as an official program
change (those that like things as they are could reduce a SingleLine "note"
column to minimal size), I doubt that will happen.  I have downloaded the
soure code and am wondering if anyone can provide some guidance in two
areas.

1. Hopefully adding the Notes column is a fairly straight-forward change,
ideally just requring a change to a single function (and maybe calls to that
function).  Any idea how complex such a change would be?

2. There is alot of code,  where would I focus my search efforts in finding
the code that must be chnaged?

Thank you.