Where to record business equity in your personal books

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 01:29:51 EDT 2017

David,

I understood the tone just fine. No worries. And certainly, yes, an investment should be an asset. (hopefully) I just found it odd that in all my searching for the answer not a single source even addressed the perspective of the personal books of the investor. I did find a chart of accounts that listed “Other Long Term Investments” but I was surprised to not see something more specific for this case since it is so common. After all, there are specific account terms for so many other asset classes, including investments.

I thought perhaps I was just unlucky in my search engine foo and was somehow missing the answer.

Certainly, it isn’t critical as long as the account name is descriptive enough, I just wanted to follow an accepted practice if there was one.

I’d ask an accountant, but I don’t have one. Presently, the concern is just a hobby among friends though we have ideas and plans to turn it into a commercial venture one day. I want to start our books off right, so that when we make the transition we’ll have some ducks in a row so to speak.

Regards,
Adrien