Notes column in SingleLine display

azalea4va common17 at azalea.name
Sun Jun 18 17:46:38 EDT 2017

Colin Law wrote
> @azalea4va before deciding that the feature does not need to be
> optional, try it on a 1024 width display with the tabs down the side.
>
> On 18 June 2017 at 21:21, David Carlson <

> david.carlson.417@

> > wrote:
>> Well, there is no way to replace the description with the notes other
>> than
>> to put the text that you want to see in the Description field.  Isn't
>> that
>> good enough?

Good enough?  Well I can live with it as is and use some such workaround.
But I am willing to put in a little effort, recompiling the code with a fix,
if that can be done with reasonable effort.

Colin, I agree with you 100%.  I suspect the reason Notes are currently only
output on a separate line is gnucash was developed at a time when 1024 wide
displays were far more common place.  But ALL current columns are really
optional (except Description).  Their size can be reduced to 1 (or 0?) pixel
wide.  If a Notes field was added, those using 1024 displays could reduce
the Notes column to 1 pixel in width.  Heck I would not object if the
default was a Notes field 1 pixel wide.  Essentially no change for those who
do not want a Notes field, but those who did want it could expand the field
as needed.