New user questions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jun 20 08:42:33 EDT 2017

On Monday, 19 June 2017 22:54:19 BST Wesley Vick wrote:
> Greeting
>
> I am a 30 years veteran of Law Enforcement and I have been working part time
> with a security firm. I own my own police car, uniforms, equipment, etc. I
> have tried to produce my own records system until, I found your software. I
> have begin entering all my expenses since Jan 1 2017. I have finally
> finished entering all the expenses and entered the balance of my checking
> account. Here is my problem. All the receipts posted have already been
> paid. The balance of my checking account is what I have right now. After
> entering everything, I am showing a negative balance of $6,000.00. How can
> I fix the software to show the true balance and that is what is in the
> checking account. Can I go into Equity and maybe show starting balance of
> the negative $6,000 or do I need to go back to January and start entering
> all deposits that have been made?

Hi Wesley & welcome to the list.

If you want GnuCash to reflect the real-world balance of your bank account, you
need to record all deposits in and payments out that have happened since
January.

> All I need now is to find software to track my mileage for my vehicle. Is
> there a section in this software that I can submit a time sheet for the
> work completed that will show the hours worked, time in, time out, location
> of the security work performed as well as the mileage driven?

Yes, I think you will be able to set-up the Security Firm as a customer and
then create invoices for them, which can include line items like daily hours &
mileage at X pence per mile.  GC won't calculate hours though, from a clock-on
and clock-off time; you'll have to track that outside of GC.

Hope that helps,
Maf.