Gnucash file is getting long!

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Jun 20 12:26:15 EDT 2017

On dinsdag 20 juni 2017 18:06:17 CEST Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> I thought I had set this up with SQLite3, but this does make me question
> that. I tried looking for something that would tell me but I’m not seeing
> it. Certainly, trying to open the file directly, it is not uncompressed
> XML.

You can always try to open it with a tool to edit sqlite files. Examples would
be the command line tool sqlite3 on linux or the firefox extension SqLite
Manager.

Another thing to try would be to uncompress the file using tools like 7-zip
(you probably have to add .gz as extension to the copy of your data file
first) and then check whether it looks like uncompressed xml.

> Is there something in a log file or config file that might indicate which
> backend is presently in use?

The best indication is whether the save button on the toolbar enables when you
make a change. If so, your file is xml (compressed or uncompressed).

> And if it is XML, I don’t suppose I can switch can I?

Sure you can, just resave it using "Save As..." and select the sqlite file
format while saving.

Regards,

Geert