Gnucash file is getting long!

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 12:52:43 EDT 2017

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 11:26 AM, Geert Janssens <geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be> wrote:
>
> On dinsdag 20 juni 2017 18:06:17 CEST Adrien Monteleone wrote:
>> I thought I had set this up with SQLite3, but this does make me question
>> that. I tried looking for something that would tell me but I’m not seeing
>> it. Certainly, trying to open the file directly, it is not uncompressed
>> XML.
>
> You can always try to open it with a tool to edit sqlite files. Examples would
> be the command line tool sqlite3 on linux or the firefox extension SqLite
> Manager.

Sorry, that was my next step. I was digging up an SQLite app when I read this. I didn’t know about that FF add-on though, thanks.

It seems though, it can’t open this file, so I suspect it is XML.

> Another thing to try would be to uncompress the file using tools like 7-zip
> (you probably have to add .gz as extension to the copy of your data file
> first) and then check whether it looks like uncompressed xml.

Sure enough, I added .gz, then uncompressed, opened, and XML it is.

>> Is there something in a log file or config file that might indicate which
>> backend is presently in use?
>>
> The best indication is whether the save button on the toolbar enables when you
> make a change. If so, your file is xml (compressed or uncompressed).

It is normally active after a change, yes.

>> And if it is XML, I don’t suppose I can switch can I?
>>
> Sure you can, just resave it using "Save As..." and select the sqlite file
> format while saving.

Sweet. Thanks!  Working through this I noticed the file was named “2017.gnucash” which I though odd since I opened this book in 2016. I would have had no reason to name it “2017”. So I tried to name the new file “personal” and that was already existing. I opened that file, which was sqlite3, and the last transaction was Jan 17, 2017.

I don’t recall this at all, but apparently on or shortly after 1/17/17, I did a Save As…, changed the name, and I guess I didn’t notice the file type bar at the top of the dialog window which is how I ended up with an XML format.

Sorry for taking up your time, but thank you for helping me sort this out.

Regards,

Adrien