MS Money income category converted to expense account when imported t o Gnucash

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Jun 27 04:30:59 EDT 2017

On Monday, 26 June 2017 20:03:09 BST Mike or Penny Novack wrote:
> On 6/26/2017 12:14 PM, pfwoolverton at juno.com wrote:
> > I have a checking account showing deposits from income categories in MS
> > Money.  I exported the account as .qif and imported it to GnuCash.  One
> > of the the income categories in MS Mpney was converted to an expense
> > account instead of an income account in GnuCash.
> >
> > How do I convert this account to an income account?
>
> I am going to rewrite your question slightly (you will see why)
>
> question: I am new to gnucash and I have an account that has the wrong
> name or is in the wrong place in the CoA or is of the wrong type or
>
> answer: Select the account and use edit (edit account). Look at all the
> things you can change about the account.
>
> Michael D Novack

Hi pfwoolverton,

welcome to GnuCash & the list.

Just to expand on Mike's accurate answer a bit.  There has been a change in
the latest version (2.6.16) of GnuCash that was recently brought to my
attention that will mean that Mike's advice may not work for you.

In all prior versions, it was possible to change the account's "Type" as Mike
describes, and that *is* what you need to do.  However, it is not possible in
2.6.16; you can only set the account type at creation.

You have 2 ways forward.

1. downgrade to 2.6.15 and then do as Mike suggests (or wait for .17 and see
if it is possbile to edit the account type - I don't know what the Devs have
planned in that regard)

2. Create a new Account, with the correct type, then move the transactions
from the old to the new.  I'm not sure if this will work or not with the
change of "Type".  A quick way to move all the transactions from one account
to another is to delete the original account from the tree - GC will then ask
if you want to delete all the transactions in that account or move them to a
different account.  Guess which you should choose!

Whichever of these methods you try, make a good backup of your data file first,
just in case!

HTH,
Maf.