MS Money income category converted to expense account when imported t o Gnucash

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Tue Jun 27 04:49:14 EDT 2017

On dinsdag 27 juni 2017 10:30:59 CEST Maf. King wrote:
> In all prior versions, it was possible to change the account's "Type" as
> Mike describes, and that *is* what you need to do.  However, it is not
> possible in 2.6.16; you can only set the account type at creation.
>
> You have 2 ways forward.
>
> 1. downgrade to 2.6.15 and then do as Mike suggests (or wait for .17 and see
> if it is possbile to edit the account type - I don't know what the Devs
> have planned in that regard)

This is how it will be for 2.6.17 following a couple of changed I made last
week:

1. If the account has no splits yet, everything is possible (this has always
been the case by the way, also in 2.6.16).
2. If there are already splits in the account, you will still be able to
change it's account type barring 1 restriction and 3 exceptions:
The restriction:
- you can only change to an account type that has the same commodity family
(so from a stock type account to a stock type account or from a currency
account to a currency account, but not from a currency account to a stock type
account or the other way around).
And the 3 exceptions:
- You can't change the type of A/R, A/P and trading accounts because gnucash
depends on internal details of these account types and would get confused/
loose data if they were changed.

Regards,

Geert