Help with Australian Shares

prl prl at ozemail.com.au
Wed Mar 1 00:47:53 EST 2017

I don't recall having any problems with setting up my ASX-listed shares
(not very many different ones). I'm also able to get price updates for
them from the ASX (but that only works for a relatively small number of
different shares, 8 IIRC).

For example, the setup I have for Telstra shares in the Edit security
window is:

Security Information
Full name: Telstra (you can probably have any name you want here)
Symbol/abbreviation: TLS (must be the ASX code for the share)
Display symbol: TLS (the exact form of this may not be important)
Type: ASX (must be ASX for shares traded on the ASX/Australian Stock
Exchange)
ISIN, CUSIP or other code: <blank> (I have no idea what this is for)
Fraction traded: 1/100000 (the default, seems to work OK)

Quote Source Information:
Get Online Quotes: [ticked]
Type of quote source: Single; Australian Stock Exchange, AU
Timezone: Use local time

Of course, to be able to download stock quotes, you need to have
installed Finance::Quote.

The FAQ Why doesn't online quoting work?
(http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F)
may be helpful, the Online Quotes section of the manual may also help
(http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes).

If that doesn't help, you're probably going to have to expand on exactly
what you mean by "I haven't been able to get my Australian shares
recognized or priced. "

Peter