How To Stop GnuCash from Saying It Cannot Find a Specific File

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Mar 2 09:12:51 EST 2017

On 3/1/2017 9:04 PM, ppssupport at hotmail.com wrote:
>     To dave,
>     Gnucash holds a registry for history of file used. If the last file is
>     used and is deleted and no other file is opened or created, you receive
>     that error you mentioned.
>     There is 3 method to deal with it.

Method 4 (if/f you will be keeping four or more books* under gnucash)
     Ignore the problem of an extraneous file as it will go away once
bumped from the least recently used list (max length 4). If you want it
to go away immediately, create some other books even though not using
them yet.

Michael D Novack

* Even with one organization there might be reasons for multiple books.
In a business, often responsibility is delegated to lower employees (who
have to have access to where they enter data but should not even be able
to look at the main books --- thus the "receivables" clerk who sends out
invoices and marks paid as payments arrive not authorized to look at
"payroll". Or in my case keeping books for non-profits, a local might be
assigned the running of the national gathering. Would need to share the
"event books" with the national organization but might be no reason for
the national to be able to look at the rest of the local's books.