Reflect Customer Paid Expenses on Invoice

Buddha Buck blaisepascal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 6 18:42:09 EST 2017

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Michael Kerins <MKerins at halstead.com> wrote:

> Thanks for this - I have no problem at all looking at the issue from the
> perspective you suggest.  However, I’m not clear on what you mean that GC
> does allow payments to come from expense accounts.  When I “Pay Invoice”,
> all I can do is assign the payment to an invoice.

You can also specify a "transfer account" that the payment goes to.
Normally this would be the checking account the payment would be deposited
in, but it doesn't have to be.

However, it appears to be a deliberate design decision to not allow it to
be directly an income/expense account. This is mentioned in the
documentation where it describes how to write off an invoice as "bad debt":
you have to go through a second account, then edit it. That's what you say
you don't want to do.

But it occurs to me: how do you know that the tenant has performed
reimbursable repairs? Presumably they give you receipts or other
documentation attesting to their payment?

In which case, that  should be recorded, too. And the best way to do that
would be as recording the expense at that time, with the credit side of the
transaction being a liability:

12/15/16 Tenant repairs to Unit 101
  Expenses:Unit 101:Repairs Db. $200
  Liabilities:Tenant Repairs Cr. $200

1/1/17 Rent for Unit 101 (Invoice 101001)
  Assets:A/R Db. $1500
  Income:Rent Cr. $1500

1/1/17 Repair Reimbursement (Payment on Invoice 101001)
  Liabilities:Tenant Repairs Db. $200
  Assets:A/R Cr. $200

The last would be entered as a payment against the invoice with the
transfer account the liability account.

> Do you mean by creating a Bill and posting it to A/P, in addition to
> creating the invoice?   If so, then how does one tie this together with the
> invoice for rent and create a single statement/bill/invoice to send to the
> customer that lists the rent, the rent deductions, and the total invoice
> amount due?

GnuCash treats customers and vendors separately, so there is no way to have
a single entity as both customer and vendor. So there's no way to comingle
invoices and bills to a single tenant in your situation. That's why I
didn't mean creating a Bill and posting it to A/P.

> I currently use an Invoice for this purpose, with negative values for the
> expenses.   I need to be able to generate something to the effect of:
>

> Invoice 101001
>
> Customer Name
>
> Customer Address
>

> 3/3/2016
>                   Rent        $1,500
>
> 3/3/2016           Water                  $66
>
> 3/3/2016           Electricity            $100
>
> 3/3/2016           Repairs                $144
>
>                *Total*
>                                                  *$1,200*

You can generate a statement which will list invoices and payments, as well
as the total value. The standard statement report includes a description
line for each invoice/payment. So in your example, I wouldn't do that as a
single invoice, I would do that as an invoice and 3 payments, each with a
description/note which describes what it's for for the statement.