GnuCash doesn't handle fractional cents properly with tax tables

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Wed Mar 8 16:39:09 EST 2017

On 3/8/2017 12:19 PM, Omari Stephens wrote:
> Bump?
>
> --Omari
>
> On 03/01/2017 08:11 AM, Omari Stephens wrote:
>> Howdy, y'all.  I'm pretty sure there's a bug here, but it's not clear to
>> me yet whether I'm also doing something wrong, or whether this just
>> needs to be fixed.
>>
>> My total sales tax rate is 8.5%.  So I charge 8.5% on top of the
>> subtotal.  My sales tax rate consists of a city rate of 0.25%, a county
>> rate of 2.25%, and a state rate of 6.0%.
>>
>> I recently sent a $150 invoice to a customer through PayPal, which just
>> charges the final rate of 8.5%.  So the total invoice amount was $150 +
>> $12.75 == $162.75
>>
>> When I try to enter the invoice in GnuCash, with "Taxable?" checked and
>> "Tax included?" _not_ checked for a $150.00 line, it shows the figured
>> tax amount as $12.7_6_.  Presumably related to the fact that the city
>> tax amount is $0.375 and the county tax amount is $3.375 .  I could see
>> this as being a confusing non-bug.
Maybe stop right there. WHAT are the actual rules for your
jurisdictions? There's always something new under the sun, but all
jurisdictions that I have lived in so far did not actually charge a
percentage for sales tax (perhaps with rounding for fractional cents).
Instead they charged and amount AT LEAST that percentage with the state
getting every fraction of a cent.

Michael D Novack