I have a 2.4 database and 2.6 software. Help

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Fri Mar 10 08:27:43 EST 2017

On Friday, 10 March 2017 07:51:30 GMT Jamie Tyrrell wrote:
> Yes, I did note that I have the last backup before the final copy.
>
> I went in this morning after your e-mail and opened the last stored file
> from yesterday, and it opened from the button like a charm.
>
> Can you tell me, if I used the last backup instead of the final copy, do I
> have all my transactions? In other words, the is the final copy identical
> in content to the last back up?

Hi Jamie,

The "dated" backup is the file from before your most recent changes, so it
should contain everything except what you added or changed in your last
operating session before your old computer gave up the ghost.

IIRC, what GC actually does when you hit save is to rename the file that you
opened and write a new file out.

ie.
open and work in foo.gnucash, then hit save

foo.gnucash is renamed to foo.<timestamp>.gnucash

a new file is written out and called foo.gnucash.

HTH,
Maf.