Trading Currency Loss in Balance Sheet showing up as revenue/income in P&L

Narcissus weichianong at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 10 09:01:24 EST 2017

Was just hoping someone could help me out with a query. I am using USD as the
functional currency for my business, but some assets, liabilities and
expenses come about in SGD (Singapore Dollars). As such, I've gone through
all the great work by Peter Selinger and enabled trading accounts. It seems
to work fine in the balance sheet and gives me a slight trading loss in the
balance sheet. This makes sense as I have net liabilities in SGD. The SGD
rose slightly relative to the USD, hence my liability increased (in USD) and
this gives me the slight trading loss. I get something like this in the
balance sheet under equity:

Equity
Equity
       E1 Share Capital	   	S$100.00	$71.48
       Opening Balances	   	$0.00
Total Equity	   	                        $71.48
Retained Earnings	   	   	       $967.12
*Trading Losses	   	   	                 $5.92*
Total Equity	   	   	             $1,032.68

As you can see there is a $5.92 USD trading loss, which all makes sense.

This was all fine until I realized that under certain financial reporting
standards, I had to include foreign exchange gains and/or losses from
translating the currency at the end of financial year in profit and loss.
Hence in the P&L I included the trading -> currency accounts as well.
However, the problem here is that the $5.92 trading loss is showing up in
the revenue section, which to me means it is being treated as a gain, not a
loss. Can anyone explain to me why this forex 'loss' is somehow being added
to income in the P&L? I've looked for all kinds of toggles within the
trading account itself, and the P&L statement to try and get this on the
other side of the ledger, but to no avail.

Below is an extract from the P&L. Thanks for any help or any explanation. I
know it's not a large amount, but I feel like I should be getting this
trading loss a subtraction, not an addition to profit.

Revenues
Income	$0.00
       Checking Interest	$0.00
       Dividend Income	$1,579.61
       Interest Income	$0.00
       Realized Profits/Loss	$5,461.05
       Savings Interest	$0.00
       Unrealized Profits/Loss	$0.00
Total Revenue	   	$7,040.66

*Trading
Trading	$0.00
       CURRENCY
$(2,261.13)	$(2,261.13)
S$3,171.69	$2,267.05

Total Trading	   	$5.92*

Expenses
Expenses	$0.00
       E1 Selling and Distribution Expenses	$3,611.73
       E2 Administrative and Other Expenses
S$124.25	$88.81
$1,273.94	$1,273.94

       E3 Finance Costs	$327.27