Importing Year End Balances & Liabilities from Prior Year

Suresh Bazaj suresh at bazaj.org
Thu Mar 16 19:18:12 EDT 2017

Hello,

            I want to keep a separate .gnucash file for each year. This is
an investment account. I would like to import the year end assets (equity,
bank balances and liabilities). I do not need to import any income or
expenses from prior year.

            I read the wiki post at
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Closing_Books#One_File_Per_Year .

            Importing the empty copy of Chart of Accounts using
File->Export->Accounts was pretty simple.

            However, there does not seem to be a simple way to import year
end assets (equity, bank balances and liabilities). The "Balance Sheet
Report" process requires manually populating all the accounts with the
values at beginning of the year.

            The process (copied below after my signature) described under
"Yet Another Method" seems quite involved.

            Is there a simpler procedure for Investment Only accout?

Thanks,

Suresh

Yet Another Method

These are the steps:

1.	record all transactions that occurred in current year
2.	optional take inventory of all possessions - add the values to Fixed
Assets
3.	record the end value of all Asset and Liability accounts - these
will be the opening balances (from Equity->Opening Balances) for the new
year
4.	zero out all income and expense accounts (transfer balance to
Equity->Income$YEAR and Equity->Expense$YEAR accounts)
5.	cancel all recurring transactions in current year file
6.	export accounts (File->Export->Export Accounts) to new year file
7.	Open new year file
8.	Delete old or unused accounts
9.	Create opening balance in new years Asset and Liability Accounts
from values from current year (from step 3) from Equity->Opening Balances
account

Steps 10 and 11 do not apply to my situation. I carry the stocks at the
value in the year end brokerage statement.