Cash Back Rewards

Securenym.net wroberts at securenym.net
Fri Mar 17 14:29:26 EDT 2017

Adrien,

This is how I deal with the question, too.  This includes “manufacturer" rebates at the point of sale.  My state taxes the entire selling price at the marked value, not at the discount after the “instant manufacturer’s rebate” price.  I handle it exactly as you do, then transfer the rebate to the appropriate account when the funds are used, either to reduce the balance of the credit card, or more recently to transfer to savings/brokerage for future investments.

On how to handle this in the US, the US IRS issued a private letter ruling in 2010 which may shed some light on this.  (See IRS PLR 201027015 Dated 4/5/2010, Index 170.01-00).  While this letter is aimed at providing clarification of using rebates for charitable contributions, the IRS also clarifies just how it handles a rebate:

P.3, Law and Analysis:  “Section 61 provides that gross income means all income from whatever source derived.  A rebate by a buyer from a party to whom the buyer directly or indirectly paid the purchase price for an item is an adjustment in purchase price, not an accession to wealth and is not included in the buyer’s gross income.”

P.5, Conclusions: (1) “The portion of the credit card purchases the tTaxpayers can either receive back in cash or request Company to pay dot a charity does not constitute gross income to Taxpayers under section 61.”

A private letter ruling means it may not apply generally, but it gives us an idea of what the IRS thinks.  In this case it doesn’t think credit card rebates are income.  Therefore, I think these rebates (at least in the US) are best classified as assets, rather than income, and that is how I do it.

What the PLR is silent on, is what is the status of third party rebates.  i.e. if I purchase a device for $X and a third party interested in having me purchase the device offers a rebate of $Y, that third party not being related to the manufacturer/seller/credit company, does this philosophy still apply?  That I don’t know but will discuss with the tax lawyers when the opportunity arises.

For credit cards, I think the answer is pretty clear.

Walt