Cash Back Rewards

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:44:43 EDT 2017

I guess this is a jurisdictional issue, but I would always think of any sort of rebate as a partial refund or discount that was applied or realized after the sale, not income. Income is not “everything that comes in.”

I book all credits and rebates to a pre-paid expenses asset account since they are non-cash assets that I can use for an actual expense later. If the rebate is a one-off refund for a particular purchase, I’ll book it against the original expense since it is most likely tied to it directly. If they are simply a balance reduction on a liability like a credit card, then I would think booking them to a Expenses:Rebates account like John does would make more sense.

For per-purchase rebates like the one described in the OP, one could also I suppose record all transactions with a split using a 'rebate due’ account and discounting the particular expenses directly, and then entering receipt of the rebate against the ‘rebate due’ account.