Bank/CC to Expense, diff currencies

Edward Doolittle edward.doolittle at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 01:19:30 EDT 2017

Ok, here are the steps:

1) Create USD credit card account Liabilities:Credit Card:USD Visa of type
credit card with security/currency set to USD. <=== This is important.
2) Open that account by double clicking it in the chart of accounts.
3) Enter transaction with today's date Tab Tab Description: Test
transaction Tab Transfer: Expenses:Food:Groceries Tab Tab
Charge(Credit):100 Tab. The Transfer Funds window pops up.
4) Because I know the amount of both sides of the transaction I click on
the To Amount radio button at the bottom of the window. It has estimated
132.99 as the amount, I change it to 133.01. Click on OK.
5) The transaction has now been entered. In the currently open tab (USD
Visa) I have Charge 100.00 and Balance 100.00. I select the transaction and
click on Jump to visit Expenses:Food:Groceries (in CAD) and see the expense
133.01 which has added that amount to my balance.
6) Everything seems to be in order. If I click Split, it looks like this:

Expenses:Food:Groceries Dr. 133.01
Trading:CURRENCY:USD Dr. $100.00
Liabilities:Credit Card:USD Visa Cr. $100.00
Trading:CURRENCY:CAD Cr. 133.01

Then I deleted the transaction to bring my books back in line with reality
and deleted the USD Visa account because I don't (yet) have a USD credit
card. (BTW I was thinking about getting the Chase Amazon Visa with 0%
currency conversion charge but there seems to be a lot of complaints about
declined transactions with that card ... anyway ...).