Importing QIF files with multiple accounts w/o going through a transfer account

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Mar 20 10:17:59 EDT 2017

> On Mar 19, 2017, at 5:56 AM, RianMonnahan <rian.monnahan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Yes, there is an error in my contrived case. The second Cr should only be
> 100 making the total Dr of 100.99 to offset the Cr entries of 100 and 0.99.
> Sorry. It's just a typo.
>
> There is no ambiguity whatsoever. I'm telling the application to debit and
> credit the accounts 9Dr and 9Cr. Do I really have to give import the account
> category?
>
> It's seems counterproductive, say, if I want to Dr my bank account and Cr a
> receivables account.

Perhaps you think the amounts are reversed because they're the opposite of what your bank statement says. That's because your bank statement represents their view of the account, where the amount on deposit is a liability. As you should know, a liability account is increased with a credit and reduced with a debit while an asset account (your view of the account) is increased with a debit and reduced with a credit.

Regards,
John Ralls