Different financial years

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Mar 23 10:43:31 EDT 2017

On 3/22/2017 9:14 PM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Maf,
>
> Perhaps with preferences it may be desirable to set them up so that the user
> preferences which are stored in the home directory act as a set of defaults
> for when a new set of books is created, but each set of books has its own
> preference settings which are unique to that set of books.
>
> This would allow a user to then have more than one set of books with
> different preferences ut still retain a def. This could be useful where the
> different book sets serve different purposes, eg  personal finances,
> business finances , or a club etc.
>
> I have thought for some time that this approach might be useful, but would
> like to gauge how others feel before looking at whether it is not to hard to
> implement. I have been looking for a bit of a project to start programming
> in Gnucash.regards
>
> David Cousens
Of course this is more or less possible NOW. As it happens, none of the
books I am keeping for various organizations requires this. But if it
did, I would simply create a separate USER account for each organization
that did have a different requirement and have its books under that user
account << I doubt anybody is still under an OS so old that multiple
(sequential) users is not supported >>. Not a hardship having to switch
user as it would be unwise to be working in two different sets of books
at the same time (extreme risk of error) or even doing something else at
the same time working in a set of books (risk of error).

So while could possibly be useful (the proposal) I wouldn't think very
high priority. If you want to get your feet wet programming for gnucash,
might want to tackle one of the things for which there isn't such an
easy/obvious work around.

Michael D Novack