Can you use the same data file on a PC and a MAC?

farleykj farleykj at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 23:06:54 EDT 2017

(1) I believe the file format is the same whether you are using Windows, OS
X, or Linux.
(2) You might not be aware that if you have a flash drive that you have
named "Flashy", it will be mounted on the Mac system as "/Volumes/Flashy"
and that is where you have to navigate to get to it. Gnucash does not seem
to provide a "shortcut" in the File->Open menu to the flash drive.
(3) If you can "navigate directly to the flash drive" that means it was
successfully mounted.
(4) Double clicking on a file will start up Gnucash, but does not cause the
program to open with the file that you have double clicked on.

As a side note, if I were to do my personal accounting on a work computer,
I'd get a whole lot of grief. We had a guy (emphasis on had) that was "just
tracking the expenses of his boy scout troop" and now he is forever referred
to in the past tense.

-----
Ken Farley