Upgrading gc on an ubuntu desktop

Art pinaart at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 10:09:51 EDT 2017

I'm running 2.6.15 on Ubuntu 17.04. I think I just downloaded the debian archive from https://packages.debian.org/sid/gnucash and let the Ubuntu Software Center install it.I only download the source when I need to tweak something. It doesn't take long to build (on my 16 GB 12-core and 4-core machines).  This is an unstable release but the same site has stable releases, as well.I don't worry about the database. It's never lost integrity as I've upgraded GC (I use the MySQL backend, but have used the default XML thing in the past).
- Art

On Sunday, April 30, 2017, 10:48:51 PM PDT, John R. Sowden <jsowden at americansentry.net> wrote:I have decided to give gc another chance.  I noticed that the copy I
have on my desktop is dated April, 2016.  I checked and found that this
is the "current version" per ubuntu, so to get a version that is a year
newer, I must go elsewhere.  I went to google and searched for words
like gnucash ubuntu upgrade ppa.  Separately and in groups.  Nothing.  I
checked emails from the gc mail list that I saved that I thought might
be of interest, no luck.

Is this an "only install a new copy over the old copy", and if so where
do I find the instruction to do it properly, or something else.  I have
a data file with my complete chart of accounts, and a few transactions
that I entered to understand how payroll, multi-account spreads
("splits") works, etc.  I can save it externally but I want to integrate
that into the new version of gc.  My ubuntu is 16.04 lts.

john