Help with grouping travel expenses

Thomas Robitaille thomas.robitaille at gmail.com
Thu May 4 05:43:58 EDT 2017

Hi all,

I regularly travel for my work and need to record travel expenses in
GnuCash. However, at the moment I can't figure out what the best way is to
group all travel expenses for a given trip so that I can easily see the
total cost for a particular trip, or generate a report of all expenses (and
reimbursements) for one trip.

What is the best practice for this - should I make one account per trip?
(this could get a bit out of control over time). Making a split transaction
is not a solution here since it seems that I would need to pick a single
date whereas the trips can last 1-2 weeks. One additional factor is that I
need to be able to put different expenses for a same trip in different
currencies, but I think I know how to do that (just having different asset
accounts for each currency).

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cheers,
Tom