Budgeting Reporting and Tagging

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Mon May 8 12:27:40 EDT 2017

Joseph,

Thanks I understand more clearly now what you are after.

Making a separate un-budgeted asset account is likely the easiest approach for handling these funds. You could make this a child of Cash or Checking or one for each. The reason for a child account is that technically that money is still part of that parent account and this way GC will give you a rolled up total at all times. I tried something similar to this as a full budgeting mechanism. I created child cash accounts for each of about a dozen parent expense categories and spent from those accounts. Things got messy when I needed to shift funds however so I abandoned the idea. Your approach of having a single unbudgeted funds account might be much simpler.

As for reporting, the Budget Report should show you the budgeted vs. actual and a variance. Unfortunately, it is limited at this time to the period you budgeted for and by each month if there is more than one in that budget period. (Quarterly is not possible as a sub-report, you have to make a budget for that particular quarter separately and run a report for that budget) There is also the limitation that it does not tell you how much you have left to spend, YTD. So if you were over spending for several months on an expense, as of say now (May) you’ll still show that over the entire year have money left to spend because the rest of the year hasn’t happened yet and you’ve budgeted for it. You can’t see performance vs. the budget ‘as of today.'

There have been many discussions about this here and I’m not sure but someone may be working on a better report.

There is a Budget Flow report which one would think could show what you want with respect to money coming from specific asset accounts, but alas, it does not. You can restrict which asset accounts show on the report, but it still gives you all expense transactions, not just those linked to that asset. Interestingly, it does allow you to select periods (months) for the report rather than the entire budget range, but for this report only.

I did find that you can run a Find from the Chart of Accounts tab and use the “Account” criteria, selecting the asset account you want and the specific expense accounts you want and you’ll get a register list of transactions that match. (be sure to set the ‘match all criteria’ option and not ‘any criteria’) Unfortunately, this is not a report. You could also try out the new Transaction Report found here in the mailing list which might be what you are looking for.

I don’t use the mobile app but I have heard of some issues getting some data from it to the desktop. It could be descriptions are one of those things. Start a separate question on it and see what response you get.

Regards,

Adrien