Budgeting Reporting and Tagging

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Fri May 5 13:45:10 EDT 2017

I’m not sure I’m understanding the question.

GC does not require you budget all of your income to particular expenses. Simply budget what you want and stop.

If you spend money you didn’t budget in any particular category, then you spent more than you budgeted. The fact that you had the spare cash because you didn’t ‘promise’ 100% of your earnings ahead of time doesn’t change that. Two dining transactions SHOULD show up in the same account, because they both are that expense. The fact that you planned to spend one and not the other shouldn’t mean they need to be separated.

I don’t see a purpose to ‘budgeted vs. unbudgeted’ expenses on a transaction level basis, but I suppose when you enter them, you could simply put ‘unbudgeted’ in the transaction notes and use the new transaction report to list them all should you find the need.

I might budget say $100 for dining out. If my budget report shows I spent more than that because I got an invite I didn’t plan on, I simply click the account name to open that expense register and I can see the transactions to make a decision as to where I went over and for what purpose.

I guess my question to you is, “What are you looking to find out and what kind of decision are you trying to make that having something tagged specifically as ‘unbudgeted’ would tell you that simply seeing you spent more than you budgeted would not?”

Regards,
Adrien