Fixing opening balance for an incorrectly reconciled account

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon May 15 06:03:24 EDT 2017

Andrew,
I reread your messages. You say you "fixed" a reconciled transaction, and now, you have to enter an extra transaction which you reversed afterward. Do I have that right?
OK, if you"fixed" a reconciled transaction, then presumably now, it is correct. First question: how did you get the account to reconcile before? If your transaction was wrong,  then it shouldn't have balanced.
Next question: now that you fixed the wrong transaction, why do you need any dummy transactions at all? Again, the reconciliation should then work (once you take note of the note in 4.4.1 and ignore the starting balance).
Despite what others are saying about creating fixing transactions, I think you haven't demonstrated to me that you need any such transactions.
David

  On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 7:21, Andrew Gross<aegross at gmail.com> wrote:   David,
I used the wrong terminology -- I should have said "starting balance".  I am looking at 4.4.1 of the documentation (https://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.6/C/gnucash-guide/txns-reconcile1.html) and I did create a dummy transaction and then reversed it after the reconciliation.  Do you believe this is just a one-time fix?  I would doubt that since it wouldn't change the underlying starting balance.  I think I am misunderstanding something here...
ThanksAEG
Andrew Gross
917 750 6981