Retrieving BTC (Bitcoin) Quotes

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Tue May 16 17:01:30 EDT 2017

> On May 16, 2017, at 1:35 PM, ehmar at 2xwave.com wrote:
>
> I was wondering how to retrieve quotes using the Security & Price Editor for bitcoin (BTC).
>
> I've found that Yahoo now reports the BTC price in USD at https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/BTCUSD=X
>
> I also found that the csv download works at http://download.finance.yahoo.com/d/quotes.csv?s=BTCUSD%3DX&f=nab (Is this how GnuCash retrieves it's Yahoo quotes?)
>
> I've tried multiple times to setup a FUND, AMEX, NASDAQ, & NYSE for "BTCUSD=X", but can't get the Price Editor to download a price (from Yahoo USA).
>
> Is there something preventing me from querying Yahoo for the BTCUSD price?
> Is the equal sign "=" valid in GnuCash for a symbol/abbreviation?
> I've also tried BTXUSD%3DX (like the csv download link above) with no success?
>
> Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
>  FUND:BTCUSD=X
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> I'm running Version 2.6.15 rev 1ef17e6+ on 2016-12-21 on Debian Linux 9

The "type" doesn't matter. The way to test these things is gnc-fq-dump, and here's what it says:
src/quotes/gnc-fq-dump -v yahoo btcusd=x
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: btcusd=x             <=== required
      date: 05/15/2017           <=== recommended
  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
      last: 1726.0900            <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 1726.0900            <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

** This stock quote cannot be used by GnuCash!
Oddly, src/quotes/gnc-fq-dump yahoo btceur=x
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: btceur=x             <=== required
      date: 05/16/2017           <=== recommended
  currency: EUR                  <=== required
      last: 1593.9929            <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price: 1593.9929            <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optiona

Regards,
John Ralls