When does GnuCash create .log files?

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed May 17 12:16:45 EDT 2017

I have experimented further after reading your post DaveC49.

In my case, I am keeping the data file on a remote server and I see that
the .log file grows as I edit my data, but the modified time stays at the
time created for some reason.  I also set GnuCash to ask me before doing an
auto-save and that seems to have stopped the surprise auto-saves.  I had
set the interval to 30 minutes because it takes forever to do a full save
to the remote server and that had been interrupting me when I was doing a
lengthy OFX import or a reconcile.  I think that your .LNK file is
something that Linux does in the background sometimes, as it is essentially
a copy of a file in a different location.

Now that I understand it better, I think that I can live with the auto-save
if I turn the warning back on.  I do wish that the documentation was more
technically accurate, especially for users that keep their data somewhere
other than their user space on their 'C' drive.

David C