Handling religious organization 'earmarked' funds and in-kind contributions

Anita Graves anitagraves at mac.com
Thu May 25 07:11:07 EDT 2017

Hi again, folks!  This message is about ‘earmarked’ funds for the religious organization for which I keep the accounts.  It is a corporation without share capital but not a non-profit corporation.  We are in Cyprus and the laws here are similar to British laws.  We do pay taxes, but we have not ever had any contributions from our own members who ask for tax exemption for their contributions.  We are not a tax-exempt entity.  We are a Limited (Ltd) corporation.

Our books are simple, and I am learning.

During last year, there was a cash advance given to one of our members for some expenses. In our parlance, that is ‘earmarked’ funds.  At the end of the year, there was a balance still outstanding in that cash advance.  When I opened the new accounts for this year, I did not know how to carry forward balances.  Therefore, I took the advice of Maf. (below) and entered the balance in the Assets:Advance payment account, but obviously the debit/credit called for me to put the amount somewhere else, and it was recorded in the Equity:Opening Balances account.

Now, the money has been spent, except for about Euro 14 which I have returned to the cash account.  The asset account for the balance forward was decreased to zero, and the expense accounts reflect the accurate transactions.

Problem:  There was no corresponding reduction in the Equity:Opening Balances account.  Why?  Why not?  How can I fix that??  I don’t know how to carry forward balances from one file to the next (i.e., from one year to the next.  I opened a new file for a new year by exporting the account tree and started with 0 balances in every account.

Thanks for help!
Anita