Handling religious organization 'earmarked' funds and in-kind contributions

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Thu May 25 07:32:40 EDT 2017

Hi Anita.

why would you expect a change in the opening balance account?

At the start of the year, you have some money (say €100), which shows up in an
asset account as you say, transferred from Equity:OpeningBalances.

You spend most of the money - so asset drops to €14, and expenses:whatever is
up to €86

Your donor is happy to "unrestrict" the little bit of leftover, so asset goes
to zero and Bank or Cash goes up by €14

Your opening balance was, is, and will always be €100. It is a fixed point in
time - on April 1st (or whenever the year started) - not a running balance.

HTH,
Maf.