account report from search shows wrong numbers

Vojtech Fried Dr.Fie at seznam.cz
Thu May 25 08:54:45 EDT 2017

Hi,

I was in Italy and I wanted to know my expenses there. I paid both by cash
(EUR) and with a card (in CZK, my home currency). I tagged my expenses in
Italy and succesfully found all the transactions with "Find...". From the
"Search Results" I proceeded with Reports -> Account Report. It seems that
the transactions in CZK are OK (counted as "Debits"), but the transactions
in EUR are not - they are counted as "Credits". The "Net change" then is a
meaningless number (CZK expenses - EUR expenses). The problem might be with
"Trading accounts" that are used with EUR transactions (they go from Cash
EUR to accounts in CZK and so they need to be converted to CZK). Looks like
a bug to me, unless I miss something.

Or is there any better way to precess transactions in "Search Results" list?

BTW: How to track trips to foreign countries? I did not make a special
account for the trip, I just used my existing Accounts like "Food",
"Transportation", etc. But then I have to conjure up an exchange rate for
payments in EUR, because Gnucash wants to convert them to CZK. I would
probably use "multicurrency accounts" if there were any in Gnucash. The
closest workaround is to split my existing accounts to much more account one
for each currency, but that is not maintainable. Another options is to track
foreign expenses just in an account called "Trips to foreign countries EUR/
USD/...". But that is not as detailed as I would like.

Vojtech