How to find and fix entry miss-dated to previous year (in General Ledger)

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Sat May 27 11:54:28 EDT 2017

While this is somewhat ‘mild’ in terms of a way to avoid errant entries, it works well for me. I’ve encountered the problem presented here several times when I first started using GnuCash. I had a bad habit of typing dates too fast and not paying attention, then having to search for errant transactions.

Certainly, I learned reconciling helps tremendously as a filter. I even reconcile my cash on hand account.

Second, I took advantage of date completion. I only enter the month and day. I let GnuCash enter the year. Most of the time, I keep up to date so much now that I’m entering transactions on their actual day most of the time and I use the +,- keys to change the displayed date up or down.

Since utilizing these two methods, I’ve never had a problem with errant entry again. Of course this isn’t a complete solution, but it does help.

Regards,

Adrien