Issues with Jobs and Purchase Orders.

Bruce Danielson DanielsonB at LogRoom.com
Mon May 29 22:45:33 EDT 2017

I agree Dave, and getting that done in 100 hours I think is optimistic.  Realistically I think it is probably well beyond the scope of “free” software.

If the developers ever considered offering a “Pro” version of GnuCash, on a pay per license basis, that might work.  NCH gets $70 a copy for theirs, and I think at its core, GnuCash is a better product,  But I’m not really familiar with Gnu’s philosophy.

Bruce

From: drkirkby at gmail.com [mailto:drkirkby at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd)
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2017 2:44 PM
To: Bruce Danielson
Cc: Adrien Monteleone; GNU Cash User
Subject: Re: Issues with Jobs and Purchase Orders.

On 29 May 2017 at 16:53, Bruce Danielson <DanielsonB at logroom.com> wrote:

I see that clearly Dave as an excellent addition – and quotations are related to purchase orders as invoices are to bills and customers to vendors.

Thanks for that bit of insight.

Bruce

I doubt quotations and/or purchase orders will be added any time soon - if at all.

I did offer one of the GnuCash developers a modest sum ($100) if he could add support for quotations, as it would benefit my business. He did not do jobs for money, but someone else who would, had no time to do the job. But the developer estimated  adding support for quotations would be 100 hours of work, and I told the amount of money a software developer earned in Silicon Valley was about $500/hour. A simple bit of maths indicates that to pay for this to be developed on a commercial basis ($50,000) , which was far in excess of the $100 I was offering.

The developers have a roadmap,

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Roadmap

which seems primarily on cleaning up the code. Hence unless there was a substantial amount of money raised, I don't think quotations will be added any time soon, and I'm lead to believe purchase orders would be similar code.

If someone could find a GnuCash developer willing to add purchase orders / quotations for a fixed feed, and there was crowdfunding to get it going, conceivably these features could be added. But I don't think this is likely to happen to be honest.

Dave