Issues with Jobs and Purchase Orders.

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Tue May 30 11:45:31 EDT 2017

On 5/30/2017 8:54 AM, Dr. David Kirkby (Kirkby Microwave Ltd) wrote:
> On 30 May 2017 at 12:26, Mike or Penny Novack
> <stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
> <mailto:stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com>> wrote:

  I was not referring to meetings among the people
designing/writing/testing the new software. I was referring to meetings
(and testing by) USERS, those who will be using the software.

And I strongly disagree that those writing the software would know WHAT
the software was supposed to do in the BUSINESS SENSE. They are not the
people using "jobs" and "purchase orders" etc. in their business. Sure,
in my days in the cypher mines I did plenty of software that was more or
less just FOR the system (see what the system does now; make that
better, faster, easier to modify safely, etc.). Or even writing tools to
make writing special ad hoc programs of a type we did often easier to
write. But this is different, more like the bigger projects providing a
new feature wanted by the BUSINESS people to do what they needed to be done.

Look, in my working experience, the USERS begin with a vague/general
idea of what they need. They do NOT (initially) see all the
exception/rare cases the new system must handle. They do not start out
thinking about "if I enter something wrong, what sort of error feedback
do I get". I was talking about meetings to define the specifications
from the business point of view.

If there are not well defined specifications for what a program is
SUPPOSED to do, then as long as the program doesn't hang or loop it is
correct. But won't be what the (business) customers wanted.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

<< and I suspect my idea of "a large program" might be different. Say
100K to 500K lines?? >>