Alphavantage quotes working through F::Q, not through Gnucash

Robert Shimmin r.shimmin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 11 23:21:31 EST 2017

Curious what I might be doing wrong.

MacOS 10.11.6
GnuCash 2.6.15
F::Q 1.45

After obtaining an API key, specifying it in the environment file, and
adjusting each security that uses automatics quotes to get them through
Alphavantage, if I use Price Editor > Get Quotes, I get an error, "Unable
to retrieve quotes for these items: NYSE:TGT, NYSE:DWDP, etc." (long list
of symbols, list extends off the bottom of my screen, maybe I've set up too
many securities for online quoting. If the error message concludes with
whether I'd like to continue anyway with the quotes that could be obtained,
the buttons are off the bottom of my screen and I don't actually get the
choice.

However, I must have set up things mostly right, because when testing it
from the text helper utility, I'm getting alphavantage data back from F::Q

$ ./gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NYSE:TGT
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
  symbol: NYSE:TGT
  date: 11/10/2017
  currency: USD
  last: 61.4000
  nav:
  price:
  timezone:

Any thoughts as to what I'm doing wrong? Is there a practical limit to how
many securities can use online quoting through alphavantage?