F::Q 1.45 AlphaVantage quote failure

Greg Etling greg at gregetling.com
Sun Nov 12 11:38:52 EST 2017

Like many others, I'm trying to get AlphaVantage up and running, but
running into an error I haven't seen discussed yet. I followed the FAQ
instructions (
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F) to
add an ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY to
/Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/etc/gnucash/environment. Prior
to Yahoo deactivation, F::Q worked fine for me.

Software:
OSX Sierra 10.12.6, Finance::Quote 1.45, Gnucash 2.6.18

Commands:
export ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=XXX...
perl /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/Resources/bin/gnc-fq-dump -v
alphavantage SCHB.US

Note: same exact behavior happens with 'SCHB' and 'US:SCHB' formulations
and other ticker symbols.

Output:
malformed JSON string, neither array, object, number, string or atom, at
character offset 0 (before "Can't connect to www...") at
/Library/Perl/5.18/Finance/Quote/AlphaVantage.pm line 138.

For reference, line 138:
my $json_data = JSON::decode_json $body;

Greg
http://gregetling.com
--
"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is
marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who