Scheduled Bills - No Number

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 12:29:24 EST 2017

I’ve not used SX (Scheduled Transactions) for business features yet. I’m not sure that you can.

Sure, you can create the entry itself, but then it won’t go ‘through’ the business features. The AR & AP accounts are special accounts, and direct entry via their respective registers, or I would presume via SX, could introduce some issues.

Particularly, if you enter a payment directly in AP, it is not linked to the respective bill. You’d have to do this manually each time. (using the ‘Assign as Payment’ entry in the context menu) The same would work in reverse for AR. But if the bill/invoice wasn’t entered via the business features in the first place, I doubt this function would see it to assign the payment to.

I don’t think you get any means for bill reminders either if they are manually entered since you are skipping the mechanism to set due dates.

As for numbering bills, I suppose you could manually assign one to the transaction, possibly even enter a formula into the SX template editor, but the business features, particularly with the bill search feature will not recognize it at all. It’s also unlikely that a Vendor report would recognize any bill entered this way.

I do use SX for some business feature related entries.

For example, my auto insurance is pre-paid for six months. I enter a bill and then pay it via the business features but assign the bill’s amount to Assets:Current Assets:Pre-Paid Expenses:Auto Insurance instead of directly to Expenses:Auto:Insurance.

Then each month, I have a SX set to credit the asset and debit the expense for one-sixth of the original bill amount. (since I’ve now ‘used’ one month’s worth of insurance)

My Internet service is also pre-paid, but monthly at a different date than the bill. I enter the bill when received, marked due as the date on the bill, enter a payment when I actually do pay it, and then have a SX credit my pre-paid internet asset and debit my Expenses:Utilities:Internet account on the day of the month when the service cycle noted on the bill rolls over.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Adrien