Could not obtain the lock

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 22:37:56 EST 2017

Moira,

You have the attention of several different experienced GnuCash users from
various different backgrounds, and we all share your frustration.

Your experience does not match that of a typical user.  In my opinion there
is something unusual about your computer or how you managed to get the file
onto it with apparently different privileges than you have now.  However, I
am not an expert in privileges, so I cannot help you with that part of your
problem.

Another experiment that I can suggest is to try creating a new GnuCash data
file either on a USB key or in a sub-folder on your desktop, and see if you
can create a couple of accounts and transactions.  Try playing with that
for a while, and create and save a text file or a Word document.

Good luck and let us know about your progress.

David C