Reconciliation Report

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at dialup4less.com
Thu Nov 30 16:06:26 EST 2017

On 11/29/2017 11:07 PM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Try the Transaction or Transaction by Payee report (the latter posted here on the list).
>
> You can show the Reconciled Date using the display tab in options, and/or sort by the reconciled date in the sorting tab.
>
> Unfortunately, I don’t think you can filter by reconciled/non-reconciled as the report currently stands.

Perhaps a more serious issue? Depending on what is meant by
"reconciliation report".

Rick, can you describe what your report is supposed to show? Let me
explain. In the "old days" each month, when we got our bank statement,
we "reconciled" the checking account. The bank statement showed the
balance as of the close of the period and also all the deposits that the
bank has during the period and all checks cleared during the period.
Your books would have a bank account showing all deposits you made
during the period and all checks written during the period and what you
think the ending balance should be. Those two would normally NOT agree
because:
1) A deposit made on the last day of the period might not be credited.
2) Some number of checks written during the period (or even from
previous periods) not cleared yet.

"1" rare but "2" the normal situation.

So you took your balance and added to it all the checks that had not
cleared (those NOT reconciled in the gnucash sense of "reconciled") and
took the bank balance and added to it any deposit you made not shown on
the bank statement and checked that those those two sums were equal.

THAT what you mean?

<< I don't do any on-line banking (not over a dial-up connection OR a
public access (unsecured) wifi) and the organizations for which I keep
books have  a low enough volume of checks written each month that doing
the old fashioned reconciliation no big chore to do that "report" by
hand since not likely to be more than 2-3 uncleared checks >>

If THAT is the report you require, unless you have a large number of
checks still outstanding each period, automating the process perhaps a
waste of time. So try to better describe what you have been asked to
produce.

Michael D Novack